St. Madeleine Sophie School
October 19, 2016
Thank you to all of you who helped support our auction kick-off party and move-a-thon. Despite the threat of a nasty storm, the kick-of party was a well-attended opportunity to hear about the Black Tie Bingo party planned for April 1st. There are so many opportunities to help, as it is a significant fundraiser for our school. I will be organizing the silent auction the day of the event and would love to have any and all of you come help. I will send more details as the date draws near, but please mark your calendars and watch the Thursday packet for any other requests for help. We raised quite a bit during the move-a-thon, but we did not quite reach our classroom goal. There is still time to donate if you would please go online to pledge before the end of the month.
We have had fun celebrating Zofia and Liv’s birthdays over the last two weeks. The girls’ wore birthday crowns and a cape while we sang our best rendition of “Happy Birthday.” We made a birthday book for each of them with great pictures and well wishes. We look forward to celebrating the November birthdays before we head into the busy season of celebrating Jesus’ birthday.
This month our classroom has been all about Halloween. We have made pumpkins, spiders and even made Frankenstein out of the letter F. We have read many books with a Halloween theme and we are finalizing our costume choices. Halloween is on Monday this year and we will have the opportunity to celebrate here at school. PreK students are encouraged to wear their costumes to school, as we will have our party before our morning students leave at noon. This is a free dress day for everyone, but the older students will not change into their costumes until after 3rd recess. Anyway, please remember to keep the costumes simple and leave any accessories that may get broken or lost at home.
We will parade around the school to visit parish/office staff and perhaps a few classrooms. Our party will begin at 10:45a with crafts, games and a cookie treat. Please watch for emails from Bethany (Garrett’s mom) and/or Dana (Elizabeth’s mom) with requests for help. We may or may not go out to recess at 11:30 depending on how long the children are engaged in the party. I encourage everyone, who is able, to join us as your children love to show off their classroom! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
I will send home another book order form in tomorrow’s packet. This is a great place to order books for the holidays. The Scholastic website is a fabulous resource if you would like to order books for older siblings, nieces and nephews. Remember, every book you order earns us points to order more free books for our classroom. I will place the next order at the end of Halloween week.
Ordering online is fast and easy:
- VISIT com/readingclub
- ENTER the one-time Class Activation Code: NNKNT
- SHOP from a carefully curated selection of the best books, value packs, and Storia eBooks
- SUBMIT your order and earn FREE Books for our classroom
- Substitute Tuesday, Oct 25th: I will be attending a committee meeting in Seattle to work on reorganizing the science standards for the schools in our Archdiocese.
- Halloween Party Monday, Oct 31st 11a
- All Souls Day Mass Tuesday, Nov 1st: We will attend Mass on Tues instead of Wed.
- No School Friday, Nov 11th: Veterans’ Day observation.
- Parent Teacher conferences Nov 21&22: We will schedule 20min conferences soon.
- No School Nov 24&25: Thanksgiving break.
- St Nick Night Thurs Dec 1st: Grades Prek-4th will sing Christmas classics.
- Please remember to label your child’s bags, water bottles and clothing. Items left places other than the classroom often make their way to our lost and found bin outside the school office.
- Please send a water bottle to school with your children so they can stay hydrated after recess and PE.
- Our first colds will begin to make the rounds soon. Please remember to keep your child home if they are sick, especially with a fever.
Thank you for entrusting me with your wonderful children!