St. Madeleine Sophie School
October 5, 2016
I would like to begin by bragging about the class we have this year – your children are all doing such a great job adjusting to PreK! Everyone is thriving with the routine and is so engaged with the crafts and activities that I present. I am so excited to see what we are able to accomplish as the year progresses. Kudos to all of you for raising such great children!
Last week we made some very yummy applesauce! Everyone had a turn peeling the apples and cutting them up into chunks to be cooked. We toured the lunchroom kitchen and then did a dot-to-dot worksheet while the apples cooked. Almost everyone had a least one bite and most came back for seconds. I love cooking with the students and look forward to our next adventure in the kitchen.
I am a big fan of dot-to-dot worksheets. They are great for learning number and alphabet letter orders and they help the students work on fine motor skills. I will offer a lot of help until I see individuals master the technique. Most of the students love to color the finished pictures, but at this young age, I am not concerned if coloring looks more like scribbling. I will set higher expectations as the year progresses.
This week we have started working with the letter S. Thankfully there are lots of projects involving snakes and spiders that we can also use as Halloween decorations. We will be dressing up and having a party for Halloween, but I will wait until later in the month to send details.We will continue with S next week, as this week is so short. Tomorrow is the Move-a-Thon at 9:30a and then we will celebrate Zofia’s birthday. Please remember that we will not have school on Friday as the teachers will have a workshop with other teachers in the Archdiocese.
Once again, tomorrow is the Move-a-Thon. The children are allowed free dress and everyone will receive a t-shirt to wear and keep. I encourage exercise type clothes and sturdy tennis shoes, as we will be moving outside for an hour rain or shine. Please join us if you are able! I hope everyone was able to make or solicit a donation – we have lots of great opportunities to fund for our amazing little school.
I have received the books from the scholastic book order and will be sending them home tomorrow. I will send home another order very soon.
One last reminder: please don’t forget to mark your calendar for the Celebrate St. Madeleine’s Kick-Off Party. It is a fun event that would allow you to come get to know the other parents in our class and meet the other teachers at our school. I will be there a bit late since my boys are playing in the marching band for their school’s last football game of the season. It is an event I would not miss and I hope to see all of you there!
- Move-a-Thon will be Tomorrow, Oct 6th. Fee dress! This is a fundraiser where we ask students (and teachers) to ask friends and families to sponsor them for moving for an hour. We will run, walk, skip, jump and dance on the blacktop above the playground. Join the fun by coming to help with snacks and water. Pray for dry weather!
- No School Friday, Oct 7th. Teachers will be attending a workshop, so enjoy the long weekend!
- Celebrate St. Madeleine’s Kick-Off Party Friday, Oct 14th. We will have an evening party to get excited about our auction and black tie bingo party scheduled for April 1st, 2017. Here is a link to more information on our website: http://smsbellevue.org/gala-kick-off/.
- Please remember to label your child’s bags, water bottles and clothing. Items left places other than the classroom often make their way to our lost and found bin outside the school office.
- Please send a water bottle to school with your children so they can stay hydrated after recess and PE.
- Our first colds will begin to make the rounds soon. Please remember to keep your child home if they are sick, especially with a fever.
Thank you for entrusting me with your wonderful children!