Welcome once again to our St. Madeleine Sophie School family! It has been a busy couple of weeks as we have begun to learn each other’s names and the new classroom expectations. I have thought on more than one occasion this week that we should be the PreK kittens instead of parrots as I feel like all I am doing is trying to herd cats. We are slowly learning how to line up, walk in a line, sit criss-cross applesauce on the rug, listen to directions, follow directions, etc. It is going to take time, but that is what we are here for – to learn how to learn. I am excited to report that I am already seeing improvements!
We are already working so hard here in PreK. We have been learning to work the calendar, count the days in school, identify characters in stories we hear and create beautiful artwork. We will have themes surrounding letters of the alphabet, but I will not teach them in alphabetical order. I find it most helpful to teach the most common letters in our names, letters that are easy to identify and sound out and letters that can be put together to make simple words first before teaching more unique letters. There is a great deal of research on letter order, so I am taking an order that I am comfortable with and ultimately gets us through all 26 letters.
We have begun with the letter Aa – alligators, apples, Ainslie, Annie and Ava. This week we are talking about apples by reading “Ten Apples Up On top,” creating our own pictures and Thursday we explored green, red and yellow apples and had a taste test. We peeled additional apples, cut them and cook them up to make applesauce. Yum!! I enjoy reading to the children and we are having a great time exploring our classroom library.
Speaking of libraries, please remember to use the Scholastic book orders if you would like to expand your own home library. I sent several book order forms home from Scholastic in the Thursday packet. This is an opportunity for you to order books, but not mandatory. Every book order earns free books for our classroom. I will place the final order for these fliers on Friday, Sept 28th and the books will be delivered to school within a week or two. It is really easy to go online to order, but let me know if you are having difficulties.
Ordering online is fast and easy:
- VISIT com/readingclub
- ENTER the one-time Class Activation Code: NNKNT
- SHOP from a carefully curated selection of the best books, value packs, and Storia eBooks
- SUBMIT your order and earn FREE Books for our classroom
Thank you everyone for your patience as we figure out the drop off and dismissal procedures. Please remember to use the street to the south of campus as a drop off/pick up only. In the morning, if you would like to walk your student to the quad, please park up above and walk down with your child. We have a teacher on duty at 8:10a and the first bell rings at 8:25a. I really appreciate when everyone is in the classroom by the 8:30a bell. It is so much easier when we are able to slip into our routine without late arrivals. Noon pickup is also going well – thank you again for coming into the crazy lunchroom to pick up your children. Once again, at 3p you may take the drive-thru to pickup your student. Just remember to stay in your car and a teacher will help with car seats and buckles.
The rain is coming back! Please remember to send a rain jacket with a hood for your child every day. We will go outside in the rain unless it is a complete downpour. Rain and snow boots are only allowed Nov 1 – April 1. We discourage jumping in puddles at recess in order to prevent wet shoes and pants. We also do not allow students to have umbrellas as too many accidents happen – hoods are best.
One more reminder, well maybe two, please send a water bottle with your child everyday. It is so much easier for the students to help themselves than for me to stop every time someone is thirsty. Getting water from the fountain during lunch is also difficult to monitor. It would also be helpful if the girls wear shorts under their skirts/dresses. We sit on the rug and play on the playground so shorts would be appropriate. If your daughter chooses to wear leggings, they should be in school colors – navy, white or burgundy. So far, the uniforms look great! Now if I could just get shirts tucked back in after our very active recesses!
- Move-a-Thon will be Thursday, Oct 11th 1-2p. This is a fundraiser where we ask students (and teachers) to ask friends and families to sponsor them for moving for an hour. We will run, walk, skip, jump and dance on the blacktop above the playground. Morning students are invited to stay for the afternoon so they may participate. You may check your child out after the event by stopping by the office or you may pick them up at 3p like the rest of the school. 2p-3p will be quiet reading time as we will all be exhausted. We ask parents to join the fun by coming to help with snacks and water, so watch for requests online and in the Thursday packet. Pray for dry weather!
- No School Friday, Oct 12th. Teachers will be attending a workshop, so enjoy the long weekend!
- Celebrate St. Madeleine’s Kick-Off Party Friday, Oct 19th. We will have an evening party to get excited about our auction and black tie bingo party scheduled for April 6 th, 2018. Please watch the bulletin for details.
- Please remember to label your child’s bags, water bottles and clothing. Items left places other than the classroom often make their way to our lost and found bin outside the school office.
- Please send a water bottle to school with your children so they can stay hydrated after recess and PE.
- Our first colds will begin to make the rounds soon. Please remember to keep your child home if they are sick, especially with a fever.
Thank you for entrusting me with your wonderful children!