It is hard to believe October is already here! I am not sure I am ready for Halloween, but I do have many fun activities for us throughout the fall season. We will continue to work on our alphabet and number recognition while introducing letter sounds at the beginning and end of words. Last week we worked on the letter Ff – fish, frogs and French fries – and this week we are working on the letter Ss. Next week is fire prevention week, so we will talk about firefighters and how to evacuate when we here the alarm. It is exciting to see what the students already know and what I need to focus on with my lessons.
We have quite a few birthdays to celebrate over the next two months! So far we have celebrated Annie and Michael’s big days and Friday we will celebrate Ainslie. Each student is given a crown to wear and the lucky child gets to do ALL of the classroom jobs during their special day – line leader is by far the highlight! We enjoy treats at snack time and create a class book of pictures and happy thoughts for the birthday child to look at for weeks to come. Next up after Ainslie will be Lauren next Thursday. I always take pictures and promise to send a few home, but please ask me for them if I forget!
One week from today, Thursday Oct. 11th, we will be enjoying our Move-A-Thon. During this event the children and teachers will run, skip, dance, walk and/or jump rope for an hour to see how much money we can raise for our school. The event is at 1p, so I would like to invite the morning students to stay at school to enjoy lunch and the Move-A-Thon. You may take your student home after the event if you are able to volunteer or you may pick them up at the regular full day dismissal at 3p. There are so many things we would like to do to make our school special and a little extra money helps make it extraordinary! Please do what you can to help raise some money to help cover our annual budget. I will be making a few phone calls this weekend myself J. You may send checks in the Thursday packet or you may go directly to our school website to donate online. Thank you for helping!!
Please remember to use the Scholastic book orders if you would like to expand your home library. I sent several book order forms home from Scholastic in the Thursday packet. This is an opportunity for you to order books, but not mandatory. Every book order earns free books for our classroom. I will place the next order for these fliers on Friday, Oct 19th and the books will be delivered to school within a week or two. It is really easy to go online to order, but let me know if you are having difficulties.
Ordering online is fast and easy:
- VISIT com/readingclub
- ENTER the one-time Class Activation Code: NNKNT
- SHOP from a carefully curated selection of the best books, value packs, and Storia eBooks
- SUBMIT your order and earn FREE Books for our classroom
Finally, please try to attend the kick-off party for our annual auction. The main event will be April 6th, but our first party will be Friday, October 19th 6:30p-9:00p. It is a great chance to get to know the other parents while you enjoy yummy appetizers. There will be information about the main auction and you will have first chance at the many volunteer opportunities. Both events are great fun – I have worked them as a parent and attended them as a teacher. Please join me as we raise money to make our school the best it can be!!
- Move-a-Thon will be Thursday, Oct 11th 1-2p. This is a fundraiser where we ask students (and teachers) to ask friends and families to sponsor them for moving for an hour. We will run, walk, skip, jump and dance on the blacktop above the playground. Morning students are invited to stay for the afternoon so they may participate. You may check your child out after the event by stopping by the office or you may pick them up at 3p like the rest of the school. 2p-3p will be quiet reading time as we will all be exhausted. We ask parents to join the fun by coming to help with snacks and water, so watch for requests online and in the Thursday packet. Pray for dry weather!
- No School Friday, Oct 12th. Teachers will be attending a workshop, so enjoy the long weekend!
- Celebrate St. Madeleine’s Kick-Off Party Friday, Oct 19th. We will have an evening party to get excited about our auction and black tie bingo party scheduled for April 6th, 2018. Here is a link on our website for more information and to RSVP for the evening: https://smsbellevue.org/gala-kick-off-party/.
- Please remember to label your child’s bags, water bottles and clothing. Items left places other than the classroom often make their way to our lost and found bin outside the school office.
- Please send a water bottle to school with your children so they can stay hydrated after recess and PE.
- Our first colds will begin to make the rounds soon. Please remember to keep your child home if they are sick, especially with a fever.
Thank you for entrusting me with your wonderful children!